Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Writing Exercise 1/23/08

Writing exercise 1/23/08

 

As artist’s, what are your sources of inspiration?  How do you feed your head/heart/hand?

 

As an artist my sources of inspiration generally come from my family and those that surround me.  I see these people, some old, and some young, as endless sources of knowledge and life experience.  I try and become a sponge when I am around them and soak in any information I can gather.  I then in turn use that information for my own selfish advantage.  Whether it is through a written document or a painting these people’s experiences help form my visions.

Another source of inspiration for me is color and cosmetics.   I think the ability to take a blank canvas, such as a face, and watch it transform or a metamorphosis if you will is amazing.  Cosmetics can ultimately change someone’s entire appearance.  As an art form I love the ability to use creativity when applying make-up to someone and create this “piece” of living art.

I feed my head with trying to view others’ art that inspires me.  When I look at something, from paintings to fashion photography, if it causes me to want to be passionate and create my own art, then I believe it’s done its job.

I feed my heart by surrounding myself with loved ones whenever possible.  They propel me forward even when I think I can go no more.  They help me see each individual experience as a chance for a piece of art to be made.

I feed my hand by allowing myself to experiment with new forms of art- writing, photography, cosmetics application, rather than staying in my element with painting.  I figure you can always learn more and there are many opportunities to do so.

No comments: