Thursday, February 21, 2008

David Carson response

So since I missed class, I decided to do some research and watch some videos on Carson and post the videos along with my responses. so here it goes



One of the most poignant things I found Carson to say is that
"it's a very thin line between simple,
and clean and powerful and simple, and clean and boring." 
I think you can apply that to almost any
situation in your artwork. If your intent in fact, is not to be boring. 
Carson using the words themselves
and the manner in which they are strewn together,
or their font, as the actual or art is really genius.

In this second video I think makes an important point that 
your work needs to in a sense be "self-indulgent" or why
would you want to spend so much time working on it. If
you are putting yourself so much into something I think you 
are truly going to appreciate it and maybe make it better
that if you didn't really care.  
When Carson states that in making his magazine, he treated 
each issue as it was the last made me think of those people
who live each day to the fullest, or live each day like it may
be their last. They always seem to have such a zest for
everything. Maybe that is why Carson's work seems so
enchanting.

No comments: